Saturday, June 16, 2012

Making my first character!

The Wheel of Time Mud. Otherwise known as WoTMUD. One of the first things I noticed when I connected for the first time is how old this game is. It says it's been running since 1993. That's a long time!

I suppose we should start with the basics of the basics though. What is a MUD? Wikipedia defines a MUD (or multi-user dungeon, domain or dimension) as "a multiplayer real-time virtual world, usually text-based. MUDs combine elements of role-playing games, hack and slash, player versus player, interactive fiction, and online chat. Players can read or view descriptions of rooms, objects, other players, non-player characters, and actions performed in the virtual world. Players typically interact with each other and the world by typing commands that resemble a natural language." So it's a game entirely made of text. And by the title, you should already know it's based on the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

I've connected to the mud and now it's time to make my first character. I choose a name, a password and a gender. Then it asks what race I want to be. I can choose "Human", "Seanchan" or "Trolloc", however both Seanchan and Trolloc are flagged as "recommended experienced players only." So I chose human.

After my race, I'm asked to choose my homeland. There's a list of 17 different nations and since no information is given about any of them, I simply choose the first one: Two Rivers.

Finally, I'm asked to choose my class. There are four classes to choose from: Channeler, Hunter, Rogue, Warrior. Channeler is flagged as "Experienced players only! You will be hunted!", so I choose hunter. No information is given as to the differences between the classes, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that they're the archetype classes, typical in most games.

Once I've created my character, I enter the game. I begin in a room called the Circle of Light. There are helpful signs here, explaining rules and helpful tips for newbies. There is also a strong recommendation to browse the forums before starting, so I decide to quit out and do a little light reading. Perhaps tomorrow I'll begin my adventure in the Wheel of Time!

2 comments: