Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Eye of the World

I decided to begin in the Eye of the World. The Eye is a refuge for newbies. It is filled with helpful information and is a safe place to learn how to navigate the game. The Eye can be reached by going 2 down (2d) from the CoL.

The first room I entered was called The Newcomer's Refuge. In this room is a BELL, a SIGN and a PLAQUE, which can be looked at. There is also a notice from the staff that bringing outside equipment into the Eye is forbidden. Since there is also a reminder that to get equipment, I can ask the guardian for a kit, I'm assuming this basic equipment is excepted.

I looked first at the bell. There was a notice on the bell letting me know that I had only to ring the bell in order to be contacted by a Newbie Helper. I was glad to know there were people who could help me if I needed it, but determined to learn on my own, I went ahead and looked at the sign. The sign had "Game Tip #1" on it. Presumably there are more signs with more game tips, so that will probably be my next mission: to discover the remaining Game Tips.

Game Tip #1 is a short lesson on lanterns and the use of lights in the game. To hold a light, you simply type "hold light." To remove it, "remove light." Lanterns and torches have limited uses and fresh lights can be purchased at the grocer. Luckily, both a lantern and a torch are provided in my basic guardian kit. (The complete list of Game Tips and Top Twelve Things can be found on the Help page HERE.)

Finally I had a look at the plaque. The plaque shares one of the top twelve things I should know before playing the Wheel of Time Mud. This plaque talked about the Five Rules, which I had already found in the Help forum. There were also directions on how to find the next plaque and a note that I should have a look at the sign.

Satisfied that I had looked at everything there was to see at the Newcomer's Refuge, I followed the directions on the sign and set off to my next destination. Arriving at the inn, I check out the next sign. Game Tip #2 is a lesson on how to leave the game. If I just type quit, I will lose all my equipment, so it is vital that I rent. Not only that, but the innkeeper will store equipment for me as well. Some day, when I have equipment worth storing...

A glance at the plaque shares the Five Rules again and directions to the next plaque.

In the interests of brevity, I'll simply state that I spent the next while tracking down signs and plaques. The full list of Game Tips and plaques can be found HERE. At some point in the near future, a complete map of the Eye of the World will be available for viewing and for download, so watch for that.

What I discovered was that the Eye is divided into two basic parts: The town and the surrounding countryside. Inside the town, there are various shops, the inn, trainers, and a quest-giver. Outside the town are trees and small creatures to hunt in order to level up. I learned very quickly that heading out the south gate was not for the faint of heart. I decided to stick to the other areas. There are small zones in each direction from the town. So once I finished exploring the town, locating the armorer, weaponsmith, trainers, etc, I went out the west gate to begin my adventure as a hunter.


No comments:

Post a Comment