Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Dynamic Events

Last week I stumbled upon something interesting. As I was traveling through the northern mountains towards Bandar Eban, a message showed on my screen that a "Dynamic Event" was taking place and that I should find the cook's apprentice. At the time, I had been going back to retrieve my weapon from the blacksmith who was honing it, so I was weaponless. That did not stifle my curiosity, however. So I set out to find the cook's apprentice. It took a really long time, but I eventually found him nearby. I looked up "dynamic events" on the forums, and it seems as though they occur in a relatively small area. So when the cook's apprentice suggested I find him honey from a very rare queen bee, I thought, No problem! It's probably close by.

No. I spent multiple hours searching for this elusive bee, fighting off predatory jaguars with my bare hands! Alas, the queen bee could not be found. Needless to say I was quite reluctant to give up the search, but eventually I decided I needed to fetch my sword.

But the concept of these dynamic events is extremely interesting to me so I'm hoping a few of you know what they're all about and can teach us! It reminded me of those public quests in Warhammer, where the quest was located in a certain area and anyone could join in.

So if you have any information that will shed light on the dynamic quest, leave a comment or email me at wotmudnewb@gmail.com.

2 comments:

  1. The dynamic events have an explanation post on Announcements somewhere, but here's a general recap: They are designed to randomize certain quests that auto-start in three world locations. Some of the quests also get more difficult depending upon how many characters are in the zone, how many trigger it, etc. It's basically an experiment in dynamic game design to test the limits of our in-game code language. One of them is super-glitchy and Tlaloc and I have been wrestling with it for a few months now, but overall we like it as a jumping point for future expansion of events like these. And no, you don't have to be clanned to do them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the concept :). I've found two of the three starting points so I'll have to give them another shot and see if I can figure them out!

      Delete