Friday, July 6, 2012

Armor crafting

There have been a few updates to a few of the pages in the right sidebar. There's a new .jpg map, sent in by Chris and created by Dena. That can be found on the "Maps" page.

Alayla created a database listing all the shops and merchants in the world, their hours and their wares. I'll be updating the Shops and Merchants page with that database and removing the "Under Construction" tag. Huge thanks to Alayla for the database!

I've also been slowly updating the Guilds and Side Trades page, which brings me to the topic of today's post. Armor crafting. It's awesome. Seriously. I made a pair of ebony-steel plate greaves. They're, you guessed it: Awesome.

There's two main armor guilds that allow you to craft four different types of armor. You can either join the plate/chainmail armor guild or the leather/cloth armor guild. As with the weapons guilds, you can only choose one. However, unlike the weapons guilds, you can make both plate and chainmail armor, though not in the same day. For example, yesterday I created plate greaves. Today, I could choose to create a piece of chainmail armor if I wanted, or another piece of plate armor. Remember, crafting time restrictions reset at reboot (that's a lot of re's!).

I joined the plate/chainmail armor guild because I anticipate needing to replace my armor frequently. Since I'm abs, I'm all about the plate. If you are all about the plate too, head to Bandar Eban. Seek out the guild master at the Wretched Bee Tavern and pay him 140 crowns to join the guild. Remember, armor is 140 crowns, weapons are 150 crowns and commodities are 160 crowns. Once you've joined the guild, pay him 17 crowns to receive a letter of rights, find yourself an iron bar and a hammer and head to the Black Knight's Armory. Show your iron bar to the armorer there and he'll let you know if it's good enough to start smithing. Once he gives his approval, you'll want to "smelt the iron." Follow along with the steps and eventually you'll be prompted to "hammer the object into shape." Once the steps are completed, drop your letter of rights and claim your armor! It really couldn't be simpler!

I'll be crafting another piece of armor today. I suspect that it randomly selects a piece of plate armor to create, but I'm not certain so I'll update with that information when I find out. As far as weapons go, I've crafted two claymores, so I'm not sure if there's any diversity there or not.

Keep checking the Guilds and Side Trades page for updates.

What about you guys? Have you created anything useful lately? Or are you more of a "kill and loot" type of person? :)

5 comments:

  1. Cloth crafting yields good profit, as dodge equipment can be sold, and the % chance of crafting high end dodge seems to be greater than crafting high end combo, at least. That particlar craft is done in Cairhien, and I have rarely been disappointed with what I've made. Divided riding skirts, camo hoods, dark gloves, etc... It's too bad I don't wear dodge anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a female channeler that I think will have to wear cloth or leather, so I'm going to join that guild with her and check it out :). I'm glad to hear it's also profitable as well as useful!

      Delete
  2. There is some variance with both armour and weapon crafting--crafting armour creates you either a top-end piece or some mid-level armour if you "fail", so to speak.

    Some guilds are better than others, I've gotten belroi combo from almost every single attempt at crafting leather armour, but often get oiled chainmail from the chainmail guild.

    The same occurs with weapons, but there is less variance. Some weapon classes also have a small chance to create a better weapon than the usual result, but each class is different.

    For example, I've crafted a few jades/red stones from the dagger guild, but the usual result is a clear curved. Conversely, the javelin guild hasn't (yet) given me anything better than a light metal javelin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that out yesterday :). I made vambraces and a colossal sword with ornate hilt instead of a great claymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might have to try making some of this stuff I always find it hard to find gear again if I die, sounds like a very good way of getting some stuff.

    ReplyDelete