Thursday, August 2, 2012

Top Ten Things I've Learned While Playing Wotmud, Part 2

On Tuesday, I shared with you five of the top ten things I've learned in my first six weeks playing WoTMUD. You can find that list HERE. Today, I'm going to share the top five things I've learned!

5. People are far nicer and more helpful than you might expect. It's always scary learning something new. You feel dumb and ignorant and think everyone might be having a laugh at your expense when you ask silly questions. But I've met a large number of genuinely nice people who went far out of their way to help me, answer my questions, give me equipment or help me exp. It's people like that who really made it a joy to learn this game, despite how difficult and complex it can be.

4. It feels really great to make your own weapon, particularly when it took you five hours to gather the materials to make it! Crafting in this game takes a significant amount of time, but the rewards are worth it (I think!). I think it's probably easier to get equipment from killing someone else if you're a very good pker, but for the rest of us, crafting is an alternative to smobbing.

3. Stats are important, but not THAT important. Whenever you ask on the chat channel if your stats are good, you'll probably get two opinions. One from the group that believes they are "good enough" and one from the group that believes anything less than perfect is "not good enough." You could spend hours or even days trying to chase the perfect stats, but really, isn't it more fun to just start playing with "good enough" stats? Statting is a chore!

2. The world is huge! Use a map! I honestly don't know how I could have figured out as much as I did without my map. I still haven't been everywhere in the game. The sheer size of the world can be a little overwhelming. I've been told that I should learn to get around without a map for when I start to pk, but for now, it's a lifesaver.

1. The number one thing I've learned while playing this game is to not get too upset when I die. I haven't even begun to pk and I've had moments where I just wanted to rage-quit. It can take a really long time to get a level and when you die to a bandit just as you're about to level and then you lose a whole level....take a deep breath, newbie! It will be ok! Remember the good times.


What's the best thing you've learned since you began playing WoTMUD?

No comments:

Post a Comment